Sunday, April 28, 2019

Studying in Australia to Boost Chances of Permanent Residency


  1. Notice. In Australia, only those who are registered with the Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA) can legally provide visa advise and services. Applicants for an Australian visa, however, are NOT required to engage the services of a migration agent. Anyone can apply for an Australian visa DIY style. If you need to engage the services of  a migration agent, however, I am able to recommend one. Please reach out to find out more.
  2. Disclosure. The author is a lawyer in the Philippines but is not a MARA-registered agent. 
  3. Disclaimer. This article is an opinion piece and must not be taken as advise of any kind in any way. Information from this article may be used solely at the risk of the party using it. The author shall be free from any liability arising or that may arise from the use or misuse of material(s) from this article.


For those who may miss out on the opportunity to apply for permanent residency in Australia as skilled independent migrant (Subclass 189), studying in Australia is a way that can boost points in the points-tested visa stream.

By looking at the points system, there are a few areas where additional 5 points can be earned. It is important to note the key requirements for the points boost though: the course must be CRICOS registered and you must have the correct student visa for it. CRICOS stands for Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students. It is a register of Australian education institutions that recruit, enrol and teach overseas students.

If you are studying in Australia, it would be better if you can pursue a doctorate degree. A doctorate degree gives you 5 more points than a bachelor's degree. Curiously, a master's degree does not add points. (Click here for the points table at the Australian Home Affairs website). A doctorate, however, is not for everyone.

If a doctorate is not for you, do not fret. There are other ways to boost your points, one of which is the 5 points given for specialist education qualification. To get a specialist education qualification, you must obtain at least a Masters degree by research (or a Doctorate degree) from an Australian educational institution that included at least 2 academic years study in science, technology, engineering, mathematics or specified information and communication technology (ICT) fields.

If a master's degree is also not for you, you can get the 5 points for Australian study requirement if you study in Australia for at least two years (or 16 months) leading to a degree, diploma or trade qualification from an Australian educational institution. Study in private colleges or TAFE will qualify you for this, provided that it is CRICOS registered and the duration of study sums up to two years, even if you obtain multiple qualifications, such as trade qualifications or diploma. (In Australia, trade qualification or diploma is similar to TESDA certificates and vocational courses in the Philippines).

While you are at it, studying in a non-metropolitan area will give you an additional 5 points. If you want to get this points boost, avoid Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and other big cities. Refer to this list for the locations considered as eligible for this:

And since you are in Australia, you get the chance to get the 5 points boost for holding a recognised qualification in a credentialled community language. In other words, you can be a Filipino (Tagalog) interpreter or translator. To obtain this credential, take the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI) accreditation. Click on the link for more information. This is an entirely separate undertaking from your studies.

8:17 PMEditorial Staff